Sunday, April 10, 2011

Should I paint or should I paint...

As I drove up to the house Saturday afternoon, this is what greeted me...



Well, and this...

so...you might have seen the other photo but I was asked to please remove it...



Anyway.. Rich had taken all Saturday morning and stripped the airlock.  Now maybe I need to tell you a little about the airlock..  You can see the blue gray door to it in the above photo. That's a screen door. And the latch doesn't work.  You walk through there and to the right is a solid front door, which leads to the living room.   This is what was on the walls of the airlock..
I don't even know what that is, but it seemed to be shellacked to the walls.  There was no pulling it off... so we had to cover it up.  Rich said yelled  didn't want to do any more demolition...  So we talked about what we could put over it.   I guess I wasn't in on this decision...

By the time I arrived there was only one wall left to do.....  Alrighty then... let's go with it...



I helped put the last two walls up and painted it the same pale yellow as the living room, hall and kitchen...  It took awhile but it grew on me and it really lightened up that area...  I wish I had a before photo..it was hideous.. that dark brown shellacked whatever it was on top and some kind of paneling on the bottom...

The master bathroom was also tackled this weekend..

Vanity and toilet installed...by Rich by himself..

Door going in... We did finish installing it


The deadbolt and lock set installed on the back door by ME (with a lot of help)!!   I guess I need to do a bit more painting...

Rich up on the roof of the sun room... There was a leak so he braved the heights and sealed it up...
Ok...The photo above just makes me laugh...  I took the photo while I was watching Rich on the roof..(I also took the new header photo) ... If that doesn't look like the Beverly Hillbillies ...I don't know what does...   Of course the ladder on the deck isn't always there...just today so Rich could get on the roof...but even taking that away...look at that mess.  Two levels of deck and the bottom has that ladder hanging down into the yard.  That's the ladder that used to lead right to the above ground pool...that we paid someone to take away..  Even though it doesn't look like it, the rest of the deck is in fairly decent shape.  Sure, it needs a good power wash and we will chop that ladder off and close that up...and put the BBQ pit on the lower level..

But right now...that photo just gives me the chuckles... It so represents the shape the rest of the house was in...

So what did I do this weekend??  I painted

 1. second coat on the kitchen window
 2. first coat on the kitchen wall where we fixed the dining room entry
 3. second coat on the master bathroom window
 4. first coat in the airlock
 5. second coat on the back of the hall bathroom door
 6. second coat on the trim work of the hall bathroom doorway
 7. second coat in the airlock
 8. second coat on the kitchen wall where we fixed the dining room entry
 9. first coat on the master bathroom door (one side only)
10 first coat on the trim work of the master bathroom


Rich
  1. demolished the airlock
  2. put up the bead board in the airlock
  3. installed the toilet
  4. installed the vanity
  5.  installed the bathroom door
  6. installed most of the base board
  7. started in the sun room...pulled nails, swept dust, got a wasp nest out of the hanging light fixture...
  8. fixed the leak in the roof..

7 comments:

Pokey said...

Yeah for progress! I like the header, pretty blooms.

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Beautiful header! You guys are hard workers....wow to all that progress. It is looking good.

Jean said...

You are gluttens for punishment aren't you! Such hard workers... one of these days you will be all done... then what will I read????
Love the new header with the Lilac's on it... they sure are pretty! Yep... you have Spring... me? Not yet! For the past 3 days all it has done is rain, snow, rain some more..... hail... snow...
the sun did break out today... after the snow of last night! This is really weird weather even for us! Enjoy your weather... last time this happened... we had sooo much snow run off they had to Sand Bag the Streets of SLC and people could fish in the middle of the road! Will let you know when and if we get to plant a garden! LoL..
Loving all the hard work... not really feeling like doing any.. but it's nice to know someone is doing something productive!

Lindabee said...

love the new header, very springy. You guys must be taking double doses of Geritol. Wish I had half your energy.

Pat said...

I love the LILAC bush in your header (figured you might need someone to give you the name of it!!!) That deck photo with all the ladders is rather funny. What a good idea to close that lower one and have the grill down on that level away from where folks will be sitting.

Nancy Page said...

Love the paint color, love the beadboard, love the bathroom! It all looks fantastic!

Have a great remodeling day and week.

Sallee from NH said...

Hi Nancy- I've been visiting your blog for a couple weeks now, enjoying seeing what you and Rich accomplish in a weekend. Very impressive! I haven't read all your posts from the beginning, but the photo of the deck cracks me up too - so *that's* a before photo?! You have come a long way - in a short time. I look forward to checking in on your blog in the beginning of the week to view the changes. Thanks for sharing.