Sunday, April 24, 2011

more doors. and floors..and paint...

We are working and working trying to get all the little things done before we come to the BIG WEEKEND! More about that later...

This is the linen closet.  When we first saw the house there were dark wood shelves and a curtain hanging over the doorway.  We primed it, painted the shelves and this weekend I made the linen closet look like a proper linen closet...
The back supports are all we left in there..

side supports added and painted..it's shiny cause I used a Hi-Gloss paint..and the flash went off..oops!



One down and four to go...

done!

Rich had to bring the shelves home and cut them down to 15 1/2 inches and make new side supports so we can add a door..

We did get a HUGE job  finished...completed...all done...  THE CROWN MOULDING...

We really struggled with this.. First we had a devil of a time matching the crown moulding that was already in the house.  There was too much to pull down and start over.  We tried Lowes, Home Depot, Sutherlands and a ton of smaller stores and finally found "almost matching" moulding at Menard's.  It was so close that I don't think anyone will notice...and if they do, hopefully they are nice enough to keep their mouth shut...lol


I painted it and Rich did all the inside and outside cuts...with some miscuts along the way...he is NOT a visual person so he struggles knowing which way to place the board on the miter saw...and which way to move the miter saw to cut it...We did make more of the cheat boards so we now have Cut A, Cut B, Cut C and Cut D boards...   I think we should market them...And of course it helps if you have square corners and level ceilings...which we don't have...  Some of the moulding looks like a drunken sailor hung it...but once again..if you notice it....don't say it out loud...I won't be responsible..


Rich got both doors trimmed out...the mess to the left of the door is mudd..We had to make the door opening smaller so a little  mudd and tape and some repainting is in order..

And this is a preview of a possible new floor in the airlock.. It is peel and stick tile.  I don't really like peel and stick tile, but I like it better than what is down there now...The white you see between the tiles is the paper and won't be there if I decide to keep this tile...  It looks a bit orangey to me...I laid the white trim board down so I could get an idea of what it would look like with the base board down...I can't decided... YA?  NAY?  what do you think....



And how many cats do YOU think are pregnant... I put out warm milk this morning hoping that all four would show up.. They did, but then the flash went off and the other skinny kitty took off... One of them actually let me get close to her and rub her neck and feel her belly... of course I couldn't really feel any movement so maybe it's too early?  Her teats were popped out though..and I know with dogs that happens when they get pregnant.. I'm thinking the two skinny kitties must be male...
And  the big weekend is May 14th and 15th..  We have many family members that are coming out to help us lay the floor...in the whole house...and we even had a COOK volunteer...so all I need to do is buy groceries... YIPPEE!!   After the floor is installed we will be ready to add all the bedroom doors and all of the base board.. Then we start working in the back hall way which includes the laundry room and sewing room..and it will start all over again with demolition, drywall, and paint.



Nancy

7 comments:

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

I can't believe your energy! I did this once and can't even think about doing it again. I will have to hire someone...interested? LOL! All kidding aside it is looking great. You two are good!

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow it's really looking great!!!!
LOL new house new babies!!

Karen said...

Amazing! I applaud your work and choices. Looking forward to the grand finale finish, as I am sure you are too!

Karen

Judy D in WA said...

I think the crown molding looks fabulous! Love the shiny linen closet-it looks so fresh.
I like the floor color for the airlock. Sometimes you just have to have it done!
Looks like not skinny kitties will be skinny soon with new skinnies following them around.
Have fun at your flooring party. And then you get to start the sewing room....exciting!

Pat said...

You are doing a super job. Gosh....am I the only one that finds nothing wrong with the look of the old tile???

Unknown said...

i really can't tell much of a difference between the two tiles, so you choose....lol.... My gosh the way you two are working you'll be moved in and exhausted real soon. Yeah I know you're exhausted already.

Jean said...

I'm with Pat... don't know that there is soooo much difference between the two tiles... just one looks a bit older/lighter looking.
Flip a coin? What does DH say?
The crown molding looks great! I think if I tell my DH about possibly us doing crown molding he will kill me.... too many other things on the list!
It looks wonderful... and next up is the sewing room... laundry room etc.... notice which one I put first?
May is coming.....