Sunday, December 12, 2010

The early bird gets the cabinets....

At exactly 6:30am Friday I heard a "beep, beep, beep"... it sounded strangely like a truck backing up...and it was.  When the delivery man says he is going to be there at 6:30am he apparently means it...




And 20 minutes later, our living room is now full of boxes... boxes of wonderful White Linen Shenandoah Kitchen Cabinets from Lowe's...    Just so you don't think that Lowe's was at our house that early.. the cabinets came from out of state and were shipped by a private delivery company...



I had to open all the boxes and inspect all surfaces of the cabinets.  I did find some problems.  There are a lot of mitered seams that should not be seen, but are..  I will have to call Lowe's tomorrow and see what  they will do about it.  I also have two drawers that have a problem..  one has some paint chipping and one has badly bubbled paint.  

Before we can install the cabinets, we have to have the kitchen completely ready.   Saturday was my monthly quilt guild meeting..I left at 7:30am and returned at noon to find that Rich had done all the mudd and tape on the "wet" wall.




We let it dry overnight while we headed into town to get some supplies and have dinner at Lone Star.

Sunday we woke up to our first snowfall of the year.  Rich let Oliver out about 5:30am and came back to bed saying we had at least 3 inches.  I didn't believe him at first..




I guess it's a good thing we took pity on the kitties and brought them out a box and a blanket...




 The white is flea and tick powder. That's only 3 of them...not sure where the 4th one is.  I have named them finally...Paul, George, John and Ringo.... but I can't tell who is who... or is it who is whom... or whom is who...or whom is whom...whatever...I can't tell them apart...

. And  bright and early this morning Rich primed the ceiling and I did most of the walls.  We still have a few spots that have fresh mudd and weren't dry, so we will have to sand and prime those next Sunday.



The ceiling did give us a bit of a problem...  The ceilings in this house are textured.  Not sand and not popcorn, but some kind of swirl pattern..  We have one area that had kitchen cabinets hanging from the ceiling and we aren't replacing them.  We will have lower cabinets there, but no uppers. I want an open look from kitchen to the dining room.  We looked all over the local hardware store and finally found some ceiling texture.   Now we had to go back to the house and figure out how to use it.  By looking at the ceiling we could see that he did a swirl pattern.  We used a 4 inch short stubby brush and I practiced on a scrap piece of drywall...



I might just hire myself out...lol

And we finished early and got to be home by 1pm...  That's 5-6 hours early...  I'm happy we got to leave in the daylight as the roads were ok, but the wind was so bad the snow was just swirling over the highway and cold!!!  Temp was down to 17F...

 So looks like we are on schedule to install the cabinets between Christmas and New Years...

Plumbing done....check
New insulation....check
dry wall up....check
Mudd and tape....check
ceiling and walls primed....check
ceiling texture done.... check

Next weekend we will paint the ceiling and get everything ready...We will only have one day to work, as my family Christmas is Saturday...




5 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Wahoo! Looking great!

Brenda said...

Man, you guys are on a roll! I can't wait for to see how it turns out. Bet it will be beautiful!

Pat said...

Looking good...sorry about having to deal now with some damage to the cabinets and I hope that gets corrected quickly for you so there is no delay for you to install them. The kitties look cute......and I love their names!!! We used to have a black cat and it was named Midnight...real clever name, huh? LOL

Anne D said...

6.30 is way too early!!!!
The house is looking great. I am amazed at how quickly it is getting done.
Have a great Christmas.

Unknown said...

I agree with Anne, 6.30am the birds are still sleeping and so should have been the delivery driver. Great progress. Love your banner photo, but I love the snow.