Tuesday, August 9, 2011

what a difference...


This is what the house looked like when we bought it last September...   Good thing we are visionaries...lol   Our daughters were not...they wondered if we had officially lost our collective mind. 
We could "see" the way it could be... Lots of trees, a great floor plan, peace and quiet and close to the grandkids..


This past weekend the temperature was 99F in the shade and the humidity was 4356%... For the first time in my life I had sweat dripping from my chin and running down my neck.  For the first time in my life....I did this...

Ok....that's not me...On Saturday Rich rented a power washer and washed the sun porch screens...and all the windows and well, the WHOLE HOUSE!!   I was amazed at the dirt that came off those screens... you can now see out of them...

So this is what I did...


Ok, I didn't do this either...  I sat on the step and had my fingers poised over the last 1 in 911..as Rich used some kind of saw to get that last piece of nasty fake plastic red brick siding down.  Do you see the electric wires over his head?  Yep, they are live...as in...they carry enough volts to permanently damage your body if you touch them.  He got VERY CLOSE.... but he did it. 

So...THIS is what I did...


I painted all of this myself... I started at 8:30am and ran out of paint around 3:30pm.  It was grueling ...hot...dirty...tiring...arm hurting... work.   All the vertical surfaces and sofits were painted French Silver by BEHR. 


While I was painting the left front and side, Rich was adding the batten boards to this end and then he got up on the ladder and painted all you see in this picture..

And just so you know...the trim hasn't been painted yet.  You can see in that last photo that I started painting the lower trim board the same as the house paint...then all the other dark trim will be painted a darker gray...just a shade darker... that red roof is gonna stick out like a pimple on a big nose...{sigh} hopefully I can bring some red into the plantings in front of the house.  Anyone know of any red flowers or bushes or anything that don't require a lot of maintenance...cause I'm not an outside girl..I would like to spend more time in that BASR  Margaritaville...lol

This is how far we got.  We used 3 gallons of paint...and need a couple of more...

Paint - Home Depot BEHR  French Silver UL 260-19   house
                                 BEHR Dark Pewter UL 260-20     trim

Nancy

11 comments:

Pat said...

You two amaze me.......you might not be a person with a green thumb, but you sure did a wonderful job of envisioning what a great house this will be when you are done with it!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

I love that red roof!

Anonymous said...

get a bunch of small burning bushes...they turn red in the fall/winter.....a nice color addition.
Bev

Lindabee said...

WOW, it's Gorgeous!! You guys really need to rest and watch football when fall gets here.

Jean said...

Anonymous is right the "burning bush" is really pretty.... or have hubby build a couple of planters and plant geraniums each year!!! That would be good! They don't take much care except to replant each year.... unless you get something that you could just haul into the garage or sunroom.... some place warm so they don't freeze.... then all you would have to do is haul them out again the next year!
Almost done!!!! Your getting closer to BASR every weekend!!!

Linda said...

This has been the most amazing project to watch. I look forward to every installment! It has to have been a labor of love in this heat!

Judy D in WA said...

I agree with Linda, it has been fabulous to watch your journey with this house. And what a wonderful record you now have. Thanks for taking us along with you.

Tangos Treasures said...

I agree with the last 2 comments! It really has turned out beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Sillygrammy said...

There are varieties of Spirea that have rosy tones and they are very hardy. Anything planted under the overhang of the roof will need watering, so try to put some ground cover or rocks in close to the foundation, and the plants further out. The burning bushes will contrast nicely in height with the spirea. Then dot a few red geraniums here and there between the permanent plantings.
I have to say that I am truly amazed at your stamina painting in that heat for so many hours. I have painted a great deal in our house over 26 years and I have never been able to do that!

Becky R said...

Our red in the front yard in California has bottlebrush tree. Not sure how they would stand up in your weather.

Gari in AL said...

I find it so difficult to believe that you two have done so much. I get tired every time I pop in to see where you are in your project. I am so looking forward to the day we can see your furniture in there and you relaxing at your sewing machine in your new home.